Teacher Exchange Programs provide experienced foreign educators with the opportunity to explore a new educational and cultural environment through full-time teaching placements for up to three years in the United States. Participants gain exposure to American teaching methods while bringing a fresh perspective and valuable viewpoints into U.S. classrooms.
- Be qualified/certified to teach primary or secondary school in their country of nationality or country of last legal residence
- Have earned at least the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either education or the academic subject field in which they plan to teach
- Have at least two years of full-time teaching experience
- Be working as a teacher in the home country or country of legal residence at the time of application. (If not working as a teacher, otherwise meet all eligibility qualifications and have recently (within 12 months of application) completed an advanced degree in education or the subject matter in which he or she plans to teach. Applicant must also have two years of full-time teaching experience within the last eight years)
- Be of good character and reputation (a background check is required)
- Meet Department of Education eligibility and certification standards of the U.S. state in which they will teach
- Demonstrate proficiency of the English language
- Agree to come to the United States temporarily as a full-time teacher in an accredited primary or secondary school
Do you meet the J-1 Teacher Eligibility Requirements?