Teacher Exchange Programs provide experienced foreign educators with the opportunity to explore a new educational and cultural environment through full-time teaching placements for up to three years in the United States. Participants gain exposure to American teaching methods while bringing a fresh perspective and valuable viewpoints into U.S. classrooms.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Be qualified/certified to teach primary or secondary school in their country of nationality or country of last legal residence
  • Have earned at least the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either education or the academic subject field in which they plan to teach
  • Have at least two years of full-time teaching experience
  • Be working as a teacher in the home country or country of legal residence at the time of application. (If not working as a teacher, otherwise meet all eligibility qualifications and have recently (within 12 months of application) completed an advanced degree in education or the subject matter in which he or she plans to teach. Applicant must also have two years of full-time teaching experience within the last eight years)
  • Be of good character and reputation (a background check is required)
  • Meet Department of Education eligibility and certification standards of the U.S. state in which they will teach
  • Demonstrate proficiency of the English language
  • Agree to come to the United States temporarily as a full-time teacher in an accredited primary or secondary school

Do you meet the J-1 Teacher Eligibility Requirements?


Cost of Living

For a quick estimate of basic cost of living in US states and regions, click on

Economic Policy Institute’s Family Budget Calculator.

Global Ambassador Programs provides a full disclosure to all J-1 Teacher applicants including a cost comparison and living estimates for the individual region/city in which they plan to teach on J-1 exchange teacher visas.

There are many websites offering detailed costs, including https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index/north-america – double click on the name of the city for detailed living costs – and https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Note that some foreign countries offer tax exemptions for the first 2-3 years but vary widely in their application, as to number of years, whether or not the teacher has to pay back all the taxes withheld if staying the third-fifth years authorized in J-1 teacher visa status.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z

You must check with your host school district’s Human Resources Office to obtain the specific amount of tax that will be withheld from your salary.  


                                                             LOW           HIGH

Health Insurance (individual)                $60             $100

Housing                                                $500           $1,500

Transportation.                                     $60             $600

Food                                                     $250           $350

*Costs increase based on the number of dependents.


Click here to become a Global Ambassador!

    • Resume/CV
    • Foreign Credential Evaluation of your degree(s)
    • Job Offer with a K-12 School District (Global is Sponsoring in the following states for 2022-2023 CA, AZ, NV, TX, ND, CO, FL)
    • Proof of COVID-19 Vaccine